Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

A Reprobate?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

II Corinthians 13: 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

From Webster’s 1828: Reprobate: adjective 1. Not enduring proof or trial; not of standard purity or fineness; disallowed; rejected.2. Abandoned in sin; lost to virtue or grace.
    They profess that they know God, but in works deny him, being abominable and disobedient, and to every good work reprobate Titus 1:16.
    REP’ROBATE, noun A person abandoned to sin; one lost to virtue and religion.

These found in one commentary can be applied to self for honest answers:
    They don’t hate sin.
    They don’t love holiness.
    They do not pray.
    They do not study the word of God.
    They do not walk humbly with God.

Spurgeon once said that…The man who does not like self-examination may be pretty certain that things need examining.

I like David’s request in Psalm 139:23-24 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

So to myself I could also ask: Am I gaining the spirit of the word. Am I living in obedience to God’s laws?
    It is better to know my own self and work to denounce the errors uncovered, than to indulge in self –deceit, thinking because I profess, I am what I ought to be as a Christian. Knowing the errors, I could work better to shine my brightest!

“A faith that cannot be tested cannot be trusted!”

MaryBeth
    Participant

I love this Florence! Thanks so much. Very applicable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.