Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

…justified by faith

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christ Jesus – August 27th, 2017 …justified by faith

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: Romans 5
    1. Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

This struck me on the first reading of this lesson, and led me through the following:

Alertness to Duty (from the Daily Duties by Mary Baker Eddy)
    It shall be the duty of every member of this Church to defend himself daily against aggressive mental suggestion, and not be made to forget nor to neglect his duty to God, to his Leader, and to mankind. By his works he shall be judged, — and justified or condemned.

James 2:20
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Justify (1828 Webster’s Dictionary)
    1. … to defend or maintain; to vindicate as right.
    3. To cause another to appear comparatively righteous, or less guilty than one’s self.

I wanted to know Mary Baker Eddy’s words on faith (I’m very grateful she states everything so clearly!) from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, page 297:

Faith is higher and more spiritual than belief. … A belief in Truth is better than a belief in error, but no mortal testimony is founded on the divine rock. Mortal testimony can be shaken. Until belief becomes faith, and faith becomes spiritual understanding, human thought has little relation to the actual or divine.

Before coming to Plainfield, I never knew if one choice was better than another. Due to that, I tried to make words act as a buffer between me and any choice. I think the only time I really spoke was when I was trying not to act.

But now, while gaining this understanding of Christian Science and spiritual sense, I feel increasingly more comfortable trusting God to guide me through my work. What a healing this has been! It now is apparent to me that lacking real faith in, and understanding of, God will leave you without a clear path forward. That straight and narrow way that God is sending us on, becomes an infinite number of wrong choices when we let error take the wheel.

I am so grateful for these lessons, which always bring more understanding (of what is right, and also why it went so wrong before!), and more appreciation for God, the Bible, and all Mrs. Eddy did. Thank you!

Rae
    Participant

Thank you, Jeremy. Very helpful! A bit of synchronicity–after reading your post–I discovered an old forgotten garden plaque FAITH in my flowerbed tucked behind a bromeliad.

Joyful blessings,

Rae

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.