Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The Parable of the Sower & the Seed

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Reality – September 29th, 2019 The Parable of the Sower & the Seed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kandey Larden
    Participant

I really like the parable of the sower and the seed in Luke 8:4-15. I think it is a great ‘tool’ to test the receptivity of my thought. Here is how I understand it.

The seed is the word of God, i.e. the Christ, Truth.

Those by the wayside are the people who hear the Truth carelessly and receive it with contempt (tread on it, devour it). In other words, we cannot be redeemed unless we hear and listen carefully to, appreciate, heed, understand and know it.

Those on the rock are the people on which Truth has made some impression but not deeply and durably; hence, no roots and falling away when tempted.

Those that fell among thorns are the people who give in to the temptations of the carnal pleasures (thorns), even lawful and accepted ones. Consequently, Truth cannot unfold in their thought.

Those on the good ground are the people who have a heart firmly fixed on/for and obedient to God. Such an upright heart hears the Truth, understands it, receives it, keeps it and expresses it.

“The heart of man is as soil to the seed of God’s word; it is capable of receiving it, and bringing forth the fruit of it; but unless that seed be sown in it, it will bring forth nothing valuable. Our care therefore must be to bring the seed and the soil together.”

(The above are based on, paraphrased and quoted from Matthew Henry’s Commentary, p. 1438)

Furthermore, Mary Baker Eddy says: “In the soil of an “honest and good heart” the seed must be sown; else it beareth not much fruit, for the swinish element in human nature uproots it.” (SH 272:6-8)

So, I think it is a good idea to ask daily, where is my thought today or right now? Is it on the way side, on a rock, among thorns or on good ground? That is, is my thought willing and open to receive the Christ, Truth? If yes, then a prayer of gratitude would be a good idea to uplift thought even more. If no, then a sincere prayer for willingness, receptivity and growth in grace would be a great help to fertilize the soil of the heart.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.