Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

…a change of base

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – September 4th, 2016 …a change of base

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

5. 162
    The effect of this Science is to stir the human mind to a change of base, on which it may yield to the harmony of the divine Mind.

When I reached my lowest point, when suicide seemed the only option, I remember feeling that the system I was living in had no other path. I could see no other way. Then God showed me another way — the only way! — and brought me to Plainfield. This change of base showed me over time that the system I saw no way out of — the system I thought was everything — was just a very finite mesmerism of mortal mind.

That seems to be mortal mind’s only ability: getting us to believe in a small and poorly designed life.*

In the lesson, the father and the son with “a dumb spirit” lived in this kind of badly constructed belief, until the father found Jesus and began to have his base changed. It is no wonder he said, “Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief” as the process of seeing a way beyond what he always knew is just as difficult as it was for me those years ago.

But the hope the Christ brings us is enough to continue forward!

In the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary, one of the many definitions of base is “any body which is dissolved by another body, which it receives and fixes.” Science has certainly done that for me, as it did for the son with “a dumb spirit.” Thank you!

* This is a good reminder for me: If my life starts feeling like a small or poorly designed system, I need that change of base which only Science brings.

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you! I really like that definition of “base.” A change of base, from the human sense of things to the Divine understanding, is requisite for progress. It does often come with suffering as the old man with his ways is cast off for the new. I love what Mrs. Eddy says on page 1 of Miscellaneous Writings, regarding this, – “Humility is the stepping-stone to a higher recognition of Deity. The mounting sense gathers fresh forms and strange fire from the ashes of dissolving self, and drops the world.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.