Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"A den of thieves."

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christ Jesus — March 1st, 2020 "A den of thieves."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.” Matthew 21:12

“Thief: One who secretly, unlawfully and feloniously takes the goods or personal property of another. One who seduces by false doctrine. John 10:1. One who makes it his business to cheat and defraud; as a den of thieves. Matthew 21:1.” Websters 1828

“And said unto them, it is written…
    7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people. (Isaiah 56:7)
    …What should have been a sanctuary for the righteous had become a refuge for the wicked, and the Son of God was not going to put up with it. God’s design for the temple was that it be a house of prayer, a place to meet with God and worship Him. But when Jesus stepped into its courts, He found not prayer but avarice, extortion, and oppression.” John Gill’s Exposition

Mrs. Eddy warns us, “If hypocrisy, stolidity, inhumanity, or vice finds its way into the chambers of disease through the would-be healer, it would, if it were possible, convert into a den of thieves the temple of the Holy Ghost, — the patient’s spiritual power to resuscitate himself. The unchristian practitioner is not giving to mind or body the joy and strength of Truth. The poor suffering heart needs its rightful nutriment, such as peace, patience in tribulation, and a priceless sense of the dear Father’s loving-kindness.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy, page 365

I ask, “What am I allowing or tolerating that would cheat and defraud my conscious awareness of God’s good plan and messages for me?

JoanneF
    Participant

From Gilbert Carpenter’s Spiritual Precepts Vol. 2:

“With his whip of small cords, Jesus whipped those who represented the human mind out of the temple. There was a symbolism in the fact that the cords were small. Had they been large, it would have indicated that the large affairs of the temple were not being conducted through demonstration. Church members are usually betrayed by the human mind, because they strive to demonstrate the important matters, and neglect the small ones, leaving them for the human mind to do. The little foxes spoil the vines; doing the minutiae with the human mind hinders growth. Little things seem to them too trivial to bother to demonstrate them. So, the human mind should be excommunicated from the Church of Christ, Scientist, just as fast as possible, just as rapidly as students can be trained to see the error of the human mind, because it is God’s enemy, being the belief of His absence.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.