Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

A Great Light

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

Responsive Reading: Isaiah 9 : 2
    2. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

On page 14 of Collectanea, Mary Baker Eddy wrote six Footsteps of Christian Science. They are:

1. A great light     Matthew 4:16
    2. Repentance     Matthew 4: 17
    3. Obedience     Matthew 5:17
    4. Purity     Matthew 5: 28
    5. Less Talk     Matthew 5: 37
    6. Perfection; resist not evil; love your enemies; return good for evil; etc., etc., etc,     Matthew 5: 48, 39-44

For “1. A great light” that verse from Matthew is a direct quote of Isaiah 9: 2 and speaks of Christ Jesus fulfilling the prophecy of “Esaias the prophet.”

During my time here in Plainfield, I have kept these six steps close and worked with them frequently. As I came from such a dark, empty time before, when I arrived at this Church everything quite literally seemed brighter. More light, more hope, more opportunity, more joy, more Life! Now I feel that every bit of inspiration God sends brings more light. What a blessing it is to be here!

On page 22 of Collectanea, Mrs. Eddy wrote more about “great light”:

NOVEMBER 22, 1892
    When a discord is present, remember that when Love is pushing upon the sense, evil is aggravated and is forced from unconsciousness to conscious thought. Then be not afraid at such times. Darkness should be seen as the forerunner of great light. Then we may rejoice at such times, instead of being filled with fear. Zech. 14:6, 7.

I thank God for Mrs. Eddy, this Church, and these lessons! Thank you!

Susan
    Participant

Thank you so much for posting this. Collectanea is new to me, and I hadn’t read this. The part on page 22 is especially helpful as when you are in the darkness you can’t always see it as the forerunner of great light, and this is so encouraging! I am very grateful for this church and for all that is shared on the forum.

Kerry
    Participant

I too, thank you for sharing this excerpt from Collectanea and want to include something from Mrs. Eddy’s “Christ and Christmas.”

“FAST circling on, from zone to zone, –
    Bright, blest, afar, –
    O’er the grim night of chaos shone
    One lone, brave star. (STAR OF BETHLEHEM)

In tender mercy, Spirit sped
    A loyal ray To rouse the living, wake the dead,
    And point the Way –

The Christ-idea, God anoints-
    Of Truth and Life;
    The Way in Science He appoints,
    That stills all strife. (CHRIST HEALING)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.