Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

A proper "cleanse"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

These days there are a million “cleanses” out there to clean out and refresh the body. A fresh-pressed juice may be beneficial at times, but can quickly become a god to which people look to for bodily salvation. Look how they have proliferated! Now the world of “cleanses” has become saturated and confusing and an altar where people worship and a multi-billion dollar industry.

Now our Bible Lesson on “Soul and Body” this week reveals the perfect “cleanse”! In passage 9: I Thessalonians 5:16-23, we read the comforting reminder to “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesying. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

“Sanctify” in the 1828 Webster dictionary includes:

1. In a general sense, to cleanse, purify or make holy.

3. To purify; to prepare for divine service, and for partaking of holy things. Ex. 19.

So when we focus on God and how can we not if we rejoice, pray without ceasing and in every thing give thanks? We are then cleansed, purified and prepared for divine service! And to that I say, Hallelujah!

spencel
    Participant

Thank you for this post!

“Sanctify … make holy, … to prepare for divine service.

“The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto himself,” Deuteronomy 28

“Establish: To fix firmly or unalterably; to settle permanently.” (Webster’s 1828 Dictionary)

During the November 15th, 2020 Roundtable, Be ye holy, for I am holy the concept of “wedding garment” was shared. The idea that when we indulge in attitudes such as making excuses we take the wedding garment off. It was read that Mrs. Eddy once said, “…One of the best cures I ever performed was, apparently, under the most adverse circumstances. I had spent one year of incessant toil upon the [manuscript] of my book, Science and Health, and put it into the hands of a printer for publication, who, I found, had allowed it to be taken from his possession, and I was thus obliged to return, in the sackcloth of disappointment, without it. A student soon called desiring me to assist in a case that was dying. I put on the wedding garments at once and healed the case in twenty minutes.” from Mary Baker Eddy: Christian Healer Amplified Edition by Yvonne Cache von Fettweis

I am grateful for the many instructions we are given to help us put on the wedding garment to be prepared for “divine service” and also that God has established us “an holy” people. My job is to live it. This story also reminded me of the many sacrifices Mrs. Eddy made for the world to have this Science of the Christ and gives courage to keep on in adverse situations.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.