Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"able ministers of the new testament"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – February 10th, 2019 "able ministers of the new testament"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

In this beautiful lesson on Spirit, this passage stood out to me in II Corinthians 3, 5-6: “Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves, but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament, not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.”

In the 1828 dictionary some of the definitions of “minister” are:
    1. Properly, a chief servant;
    3. A magistrate; an executive officer. For he is the minister of God to thee for good. Rom.13.
    4. A delegate; an embassador;
    5. One who serves at the altar; … the pastor of a church,
    6. Christ is called a minister of the sanctuary. Heb.8.
    7. An angel; a messenger of God.

The meaning of “minister” was enlarged as I read through the definition. We are servants of God, executive officers working for God, delegated by God to be ambassadors for Christ, the spirit of the new testament! Isn’t this an exciting job description? I spent years in office jobs feeling dissatisfied with my work, but now, through this church, I have an entirely new job, that of truly working for God as an “able minister of the new testament”! If Mrs. Eddy after the first day of class would tell her students to ‘now go out and heal someone’ (paraphrase), then certainly I am “able” after years of wonderful teachings in this church. I must be an active member, an active Scientist, and not passive! As I “step up to the plate” and share the Bible and Christian Science with others (as I had never done before coming here), I have seen how this has positively affected others’ lives by their discovery of the Christ, Truth in Christian Science (aka the Laws of the Universe). All I can say is “Alleluia” and thank you to Plainfield Church for getting me out of the shadows and into the light!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.