Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

According as his work shall be.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christian Science – June 25th, 2017 According as his work shall be.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant

“And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” (Revelation)

One thing that I have learned in Christian Science is that the rewards for our actions come quickly. It is not what we say that matters, but, rather, what we do and the motive for our doing that matters. I have seen many people mislead into thinking that they can live their lives by repeating “truths” to themselves or others and doing nothing else. Keeping the truth steadfastly in thought is clearly essential, but it is only a prerequisite to living a right life.

It is similar to our Alertness to Duty in the church manual, in which Mrs. Eddy writes: “By his works he shall be judged, — and justified or condemned.” God doesn’t ask us to do anything that we are not able to do, but it often requires courage and unselfed love to get out of our “comfort zone” and do for others. And it is quite comforting to know that our reward is commensurate with our works.

Gary
    Participant

My wife recommended that I clarify something. When I wrote that the rewards of our works come quickly, I did not mean that the human rewards that we might expect or want for our actions will come quickly. They may never come in this life time. The reward for right doing is a clear conscience and a sense of dominion over evil, even though you may be humanly uncomfortable for years. The reward for disobedience to God is a disturbed conscience and a sense of fear, even though your human condition may feel “comfortable” by all human standards.

When Paul began his mission after his conversion, he prayed to God to heal him of an infirmity. God’s answer was “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” The rewards that come quickly are those of the heart and conscience, but not necessarily of the flesh. It all depends on what best promotes your spiritual growth.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for your clarification. I see it as soldiering on, knowing in one’s heart, “Not my will but Thine be done.” What is in our heart and conscience is of the most vital importance, no matter what the sense testimony may or may not look like. Our spiritual sense assures us of what is right, in our thinking and consequently in our actions. It took me a while to get to this point as I stubbornly clung to what I didn’t want to let go of, thinking I might “miss out” on something.

“The reward for disobedience to God is a disturbed conscience and a sense of fear, even though your human condition may feel “comfortable” by all human standards.” Check–been there, done that! And I wouldn’t return there for anything. The only thing I missed out on, for years, was the blessings I was depriving myself of by festering in the swamp of material error, even while clinging to the life raft of Christian Science. The teachings in this church pulled me out of the swamp, washed me clean, and gently pushed me forward onto the straight and narrow path I had always been afraid of. Now I love this path!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.