Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

An obligation to follow Spirit!

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – August 6th, 2017 An obligation to follow Spirit!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

Romans 8: 12-14 reads (Citation 7):

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

To better grasp the meaning of the first verse (“we are debtors, not to the flesh”), I went to the Amplified Bible:

12 So then, [a]brothers and sisters, we have an obligation, but not to our flesh [our human nature, our worldliness, our sinful capacity], to live according to the [impulses of the] flesh [our nature without the Holy Spirit]— 13 for if you are living according to the [impulses of the] flesh, you are going to die. But if [you are living] by the [power of the Holy] Spirit you are habitually putting to death the sinful deeds of the body, you will [really] live forever. 14 For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

In the 1828 dictionary:
    Debtor: 2. One who is under obligation to do something.

So, it’s clearer to me now that we are under no obligation to the flesh, but we have an actual obligation to always be in tune with our spiritual sense, to follow Spirit!

Florence
    Participant

Thanks for this post! It shows Spirit’s supremacy. Spirit is my substance.

JOB 33 : 4 “The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” This from the lesson clearly states I am made from Spirit and Spirit is what gives me life. I must therefore learn to accept this, think this, know this and understand that I am spiritual! My spiritual substance is incapable of destruction, disease and death; that which makes “being” is health, holiness and immortality.

The conclusion to all this to me is :”Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” This me is Spirit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.