Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"And the people murmured"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Substance – September 15th, 2019 "And the people murmured"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?” Exodus 17

Having spent most of my life complaining I am grateful to be learning constructive positive healing habits and attitudes based on Mrs. Eddy’s Science of the Christ correctly taught at Plainfield Independent Church. Monday I came across the Watch below from 500 Watching Points by Gilbert Carpenter which seems to go with what the people leaving Egypt were struggling with. I found it a helpful instruction especially in light of the human desire for ease and the world telling us that ease is spiritual not to be challenged. This ease puts you to sleep unlike the peace that comes from obedience to God.

“120 — WATCH lest, having put your hand to the plough, you look back. The action and effect of Truth is to uncover and destroy error. A plough turns over the topsoil and exposes that which has been hidden. The tendency of the human mind is to desire everything smooth on the surface, even though, underneath, there is hidden latent error.
    If a student is not ready to stick to the plough after it has begun to uncover error, and continue the warfare until the error is entirely exposed and destroyed, he is not ready to put his hand to the plough at all, in order that Truth may uncover his hidden errors. He will look back with desire at the time when he enjoyed human harmony, even though there was hidden error in his thought.
    Once in a while you meet a student who complains that, after having come into Christian Science, he has a great deal to meet that he never had before. This complaint proves that he is looking back with longing to the time when, before he put his hand to the plough, his human experience was comparatively smooth because error was more or less under cover, or latent. Such a one proves by this attitude that he is not fit for the kingdom of heaven, since he does not possess the necessary determination to press forward.”

Susanne
    Participant

Such a great post, thank you! Whenever I feel that temptation to think that “things were easier before” (that murmuring!) or “I just want to do nothing” I love to remember the quote from Science and Health, “God rests in action.” Whoa! Get going! Further in the paragraph, it reads, “The highest and sweetest rest, even from a human standpoint, is in holy work.” What a wonderful thing is that! And something to keep in mind as I “press forward”!

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Watch 120:) What I believe I’m realizing is that All is easy to Spirit. So my past though fraught with discord and dismay was the only consciousness I knew and no way out of it. Christian Science has showed the ‘Way’ out into the consciousness of the ‘new man’ but that only can happen through spiritual consciousness coming first. Truly it takes digging out ALL of the sand my consciousness was built upon and replacing it with rock (God). 2 Sam. 22:47 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation. Psalm 94:22 But the LORD is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.