Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Appearance & Reality

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“Thou hast enlarged me…in distress” (Psalms 4:1).

David’s correct view of Goliath enlarged David while it shrank Goliath, whereas the incorrect view of Goliath held by Israel’s fearful armies enlarged Goliath while it shrank them.

Where the army saw a mountain, David saw a plain.

The more I look upon any problem confronting me, the bigger and more real the problem gets. The more I look upon God, the more resolutely I rely upon His Word instead of the problem, the smaller and more unreal the problem gets.

In Numbers 13:33, most of the men who returned from spying out the promised land were not only fearful of the giants in the land, but spread their fatalistic viewpoint among all the people of Israel: “And there we saw the giants…and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers…” But while the majority of spies saw themselves as helpless bugs to be squashed by giants, Joshua and Caleb saw themselves as the real giants who were well able to conquer and possess the land: a land whose “giants” were, in reality, mere bugs.

The spies who broadcast their magnified fear died of the plague: the natural outpicturing of their infectiously spreading their evil report among the multitude of people.

Whatever the size of the distress confronting me, however formidable its appearance, it will shrink in proportion to the degree of strength with which I cleave to God and His promises, and the more God will enlarge me in the face of it.

“… [H]uman opinions [have] not one feather’s weight in the scales of God” (Mis. 372).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.