Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Are His Words Holy To Me?

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

John 4:50 Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way. ( Emphasis added)
    It is the same Christ speaking the Truth with power through the Bible, Mrs. Eddy’s words, inspired articles, practitioner’s encouragement etc. Do I view these as such, ponder them and take them to my heart? Here again we see that something is required of us to receive the full benefits of God’s promises!
    We must approach the Lessons with reverence, as if we are going to listen to what God wants us to know each day; instead of a humdrum routine that we can get tired of!

Rae
    Participant

Thanks, Florence. It is such a gift to be able to read the Lessons and open our eyes to receive the messages that help us to awaken to the truth. God is Love.

parthens
    Participant

Thank you, and so true!

Joshua 1:8 – “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” This was the encouraging conditional promise that God spoke to Joshua after Moses’ passing, as Joshua contemplated the mighty challenges ahead of him in filling Moses’ shoes. Note that Joshua had the 5 Books of Moses only: the only source of the written Word of God in Joshua’s day (there were no Psalms, Proverbs books of the prophets, no other books of Israel’s histroy from which Joshua could receive instruction), but they were enough, indeed.

With the advent of Christ, Jesus was able to draw from a much larger storehouse of scripture than could Joshua: that is, all the books of the Old Testament. Thus, the battle plan of God on behalf of humanity was made clearer as Jesus gathered greater and greater power from this larger arsenal of holy sciripture available to him at the time.

With the advent of Mrs. Eddy’s revelation of Christian Science, she was able to draw from an even larger body of scripture: the Bible itself — the Old and the New Testaments, and from her inspired study of the Bible, she gave the world Science and Health, along with all her other writings. The Bible was her one and only source of inspiration.

“My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh” (Prov. 4:20). Thus, it is the Word – our devotion and active obedience to the Word, supported by Mrs. Eddy’s correlative writings – in mind, mouth, ears, eyes, heart continually, as never before – that will make the Allness of God more and more real to us until God and His image become the only Reality, infinitely dwarfing, overshadowing any supposed giant in Canaan, or Goliath, or any great red dragon dreamt up by mortal mind.

MaryBeth
    Participant

I love all of these posts Even the title, “Are His Words Holy to Me?” – is something that captures my heart and attention. Recording and passing down His Holy Word did not come easily but with untold sacrifice. What a great privilege to be able to study His Word and to be reminded never to take this privilege for granted. Thank you very much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.