Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Asa, and belief versus understanding

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

In the readings from II Chronicles, it seemed Asa went from having trust in God, to trusting himself only. Perhaps Asa was told for too long by others that those early victories were his own victories. Perhaps he decided this on his own. Any way around it, its apparent that Asa didn’t truly understand why trusting in God always works, and why trusting in the human mind always fails. He self-destructively saw God’s power as just one tool among many, a power he believed subordinate to his own power as king.

Something I never realized before coming to Plainfield is how the power we give belief rises and falls because we cannot sustain it indefinitely. It seems clear now that by the end of it – when our own human mind will-power has faded – if we haven’t gained a higher thought and better understanding, then the door is open to revert to old beliefs and lower thoughts. This thought is behind such phrases as “once an addict, always an addict” and even the vague feeling I used to have that good things can’t last. The idea is that identifying with error leads to identifying with its destruction.

I look to this as a warning to myself now to honestly look within and be certain I truly understand Christian Science is the only way, and God is the only power. This helps me to know more of what “no reversal” means and why it is included in our watches: Divine Mind cannot become the human mind; Life cannot become death; right cannot become wrong; what has been healed through the application of Christian Science – whether through my own demonstration or with practitioner support – cannot degrade; the changes that have come about in me through the study in Plainfield cannot be undone; and, the new man I am cannot be put off for the old man I “was.” I cannot again identify myself as “self-destructive” because I now understand that only error self-destroys.

I am very grateful for these lessons and each bit of understanding gained by being a member of this church. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.