Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

ASK…IN MY NAME

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ldshap
    Participant

“If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.” (John 14:14)

Expositor’s Bible: “When we do anything in another’s name, it is for him we do it.”

Spurgeon: “….you are authorized to use the name of Christ….oh! what power there is in prayer at that time!….But you cannot ask everything in that name. You are obliged to draw back from some prayers, and say, ‘No; Christ would never authorize me to put his name to that.’….For we would not dare to ask some things in that wondrous name.”

A.B. Leever: “…to ask on his behalf, as if it were he himself asking for what we ask…as his representative, and in accordance with his will….this is a reasonable meaning to perceive…..Only a divine purpose can be asked in Jesus’ name….”

• “In the name of” asserts the reputation and authority of another person
    • “Name” implies reputation, character, quality, essential nature of the individual
    • “Name” may be rendered “nature” – implies that to have his nature, as a result of abiding in his words or teaching, is the condition requisite to bringing about an answer to prayer; having the Christ-like nature
    • Requires us to pattern the Master’s complete surrender to God’s will
    • Men must attain the knowledge of the Principle which Jesus demonstrated – knowing but one reality and abandoning that which is mortal and material
    • Asking with Christlike purity of motive
    • Asking in Christlike humility and receptivity
    • Asking in Christlike recognition of man’s divine estate
    • Recognizing the oneness of the divine name and nature
    • Desiring that which accords with the Christ character; endeavoring to live as he lived
    • Understanding, with a degree of Christly humility, the true idea of God that Jesus taught, and to make it our present basis for action
    • Seeing the unity between name and nature in our prayer, our watching, and our work

Sources: (1) “Asking in His Name” (Willis F. Gross, CSJ, 2/1907); (2) “The Saving Christ” (Michael Hamilton, CSS, 8/4/2008); (3) “In My Name” (Edyth Whittemore Gulick, CSJ, 12/1930); (4) “In My Name” (Adela Le Page, CSJ, 5/1926); (5) “Name and Nature” (Jeanie C. E. Andrews, CSJ, 11/1910; (6) “The Conviction that Enforces Itself” (Francis Lyster Jandron, CSJ, 1/1959); (7) “Righteous Prayer” (Elfriede Ebbinghaus, CSS, 8/28/1915).

Rosanne Partee
    Participant

Thank you for this post. I appreciate the expansion and explanation of the meaning of praying “in Jesus’ name”. Very helpful to me.

Murad A
    Participant

Yes, thank you for this post and also for the Roundtable discussion which included reference to Mrs. Eddy’s instructions on the “Watch” page. This favorite quote from Science and Health, page 135:9: “Spiritual evolution alone is worthy of the exercise of divine power.” has helped me enormously in times when I think I know what’s best rather than what God, in His infinite wisdom, knows.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.