Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

be diligent

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
    17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
    18 But grow in grace,

1828 Websters
    Diligent:
    1. Steady in application to business; constant in effort or exertion to accomplish what is undertaken; assiduous; attentive; industrious; not idle or negligent; applied to persons.

During last Sunday’s Roundtable we discussed the importance of “staying on the course” in our walk with God. The word diligent struck me as a quality to cultivate to “grow in grace” so one does not become apathetic, overly ambitious or anxious about one’s growth, nor led away from your walk with God. Just as Jesus’ parable of the sower we are also being counseled here to beware of pitfalls that try to take you off course.

Mrs. Eddy writes in Science and Health, “To reach heaven, the harmony of being, we must understand the divine Principle of being.” One pitfall could be a lack of understanding God. As a participant mentioned, he was put off by the world’s definition of God until he found Plainfield. This was a profound statement to me and clarifying. We must cleanse our thought and watch for the wrong sense of God presented by the material world. I am grateful for Mary Baker Eddy and Plainfield for teaching her pure Science and our Bible lessons so we can have a clear correct understanding of God.

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you for this. I have often thought about the word diligence. It is one thing to be diligent for a few hours, a few days, a few weeks but when you think of how Mrs. Eddy remained diligent under all the dogged attacks of animal magnetism over a long course of years it is truly inspiring. Her love for God and her desire to help mankind remained ever constant. I love what she writes in Miscellaneous Writings, “To preserve a long course of years still and uniform, amid the uniform darkness of storm and cloud and tempest, requires strength from above, – deep draughts from the fount of divine Love.” Often I ask myself – if I am truly grateful for her unselfed sacrifice – how can I do any less than to stay the course, than to remain diligent?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.