Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Be ye therefore perfect

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Reality – March 27th, 2016 Be ye therefore perfect

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Gary.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“To reach perfection, we are told that every thought must be brought ‘to the obedience of Christ,’ of Truth; but because we recognize this as the goal, and are earnestly striving therefore, surely it is no excuse for condemning either ourselves or others, because of present lack of attainment. Christ Jesus did attain perfection; it is therefore attainable, as he emphatically announced, by all who follow in his footsteps. This problem is individual, and cannot be accomplished by one for another, any more than can music or mathematics be learned by a substitute. Its attainment requires the same consecration and indefatigability(persistence) that must obtain to insure success in any undertaking of value, never can it be accomplished through discouragement or indolence. The effort, then, of the individual must be to bury the past, with all its failures, sicknesses, sorrows, and mistakes, and, beginning anew, with the Bible and its Key, the Christian Science text-book, for his guides, to govern his life accordingly, for thus, and thus only, can the spiritual understanding of the Scriptures be gained and their power be practically demonstrated.” By Herbert Eustace excerpt from:
    1905 Christian Science Journal article titled “KEY TO THE SCRIPTURES”

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by spencel.
    • This topic was modified 8 years ago by spencel.
    Gary
    Participant

This is similar to the instruction from Paul to Timothy, to study the scriptures, “That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” The idea of perfection can be a tough one, especially when we see human imperfection all around us. And I guess that’s the point. Perfection is not a human quality, it is a divine quality which we experience as we live in obedience to the laws of God. Mrs. Eddy assures us that “man’s perfection is real and unimpeachable,” and Jesus instructed us to “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

It starts by being perfectly honest, with myself and with others. Be up front with God and with my own heart. Be perfectly humble. Get my own will out of the way. This is a tough one! But it means to get rid of all will and pride. Have a perfect motive for everything I do. Does this bless others? Does it express the love that God has for me and for all His creation, or is it selfish? Be perfectly principled. Is this in accordance with my highest sense of right?

The result of all this is perfect health, perfect sanity, and a perfectly useful life. Certainly worth striving for. And the best part of it is that it is real and unimpeachable!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.