Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Become a Fool?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant

I chuckled when I read in I Corinthians: “If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.” If you want to be wise, you need to become a fool! What does that mean?
    It is further explained in the next statement in the Bible: “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.” It is referring to those who think they are smart and don’t understand that intelligence is of God. When you think you are smart and don’t pay attention to the divine source of all intelligence, then you set yourself up to do really stupid things. And make really bad mistakes. Elsewhere in I Corinthians, Paul writes: “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” The only way out of that dilemma is to admit that I have been a fool, and pay attention to what God is telling me. This requires spiritual sense, and courage.

The world doesn’t appreciate acting on inspiration. It has its own studied, rote methods. The person who moves at Gods command is not understood by the human mind, and is sometimes considered a “fool” by human standards. You must be willing to take that risk if you want to be useful to God and to mankind. For only then can you rise above the noise of the human dream and see what is really going on. Humility and moral courage…

spencel
    Participant

Thank you Gary. I found this citation a good reminder to watch my thought because it can drift easily into relying on human intellect rather than turning with my whole heart and mind to God. I did not have any sense of this before instruction here at Plainfield. It has been one of the most life changing lessons for me and definitely not over. Letting go of human intellect and pride has also been a very important part in my growing ability to hear and feel God.

This citation connects with our Bible Study discussion of Naaman last week. Naaman was quite confident in his worldly knowledge, power, plans, and ways. It was all put to silence and he was humbled by Elisha the prophet who demonstrated to him how God views man’s opinions.

The following is from Matthew Henry about the citation in Corinthians this week.
    “To have a high opinion of our own wisdom, is but to flatter ourselves; and self-flattery is the next step to self-deceit. The wisdom that wordly men esteem, is foolishness with God. How justly does he despise, and how easily can he baffle and confound it! The thoughts of the wisest men in the world, have vanity, weakness, and folly in them. All this should teach us to be humble, and make us willing to be taught of God, so as not to be led away, by pretences to human wisdom and skill, from the simple truths revealed by Christ.”

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by spencel.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.