Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

…being reconciled

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: Romans 5
    10. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Definitions from the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary:

Reconcile
    1. To conciliate anew; to call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated; to restore to friendship or favor after estrangement;

Conciliate
    2. To reconcile, or bring to a state of friendship, as persons at variance.

I thought it interesting to see “persons at variance” in that definition, as variance is one of “the works of the flesh” listed in Galatians 5:19-21.

Variance
    2. In a state of dissension or controversy; in a state of enmity.

As I just learned a few weeks ago, enmity is being an enemy. For some time, I saw myself as an enemy of Christian Science: My introduction to it gave me all the wrong ideas! It took a few decades – and meeting people who had the right idea of Science – to see that initial reaction was unfounded. In the end, my estrangement into variance and enmity was brought on by listening to the wrong “mind” and quite a bit of personal sense. I thank God for His patience and mercy, because He guided me “back into union and friendship” even when humanly it seemed I didn’t deserve it. I am so happy that “God is no respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34), or their opinions!

I am grateful to this church, and practitioner support, for showing me the truth of Christian Science, and reconciling me with God. What a blessing these lessons are! Thank you!

Colleen Mostika
    Participant

Thank you for doing this research and posting the meaning of these words. I find it so very helpful and enriches my understanding of the message being conveyed.
    Colleen

richato
    Participant

This is from Thomas Watson as found in Biblehub:[1] God’s mercy is free. 2] God’s mercy is an overflowing mercy; it is infinite.[3] God’s mercy is eternal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.