Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Believeth Thou This?

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

SH 582:1,2 Believing: Firmness and constancy; not a faltering nor a blind faith, but the perception of spiritual Truth.

The fact that Jesus talks quite a bit about believing in His discourse with Martha shows what we must put some of our “efforts for reform” into applying the Truth, until our beliefs become understanding and understanding grows into unswerving conviction.

It made me wonder if I ever questioned certain rules that I was given growing up. They became beliefs I held to so strongly. If I accepted those without proof why couldn’t I believe what the Bible, especially as explained through Science was saying just as readily.
    Is it not because of trusting or distrusting the source? Mrs. Eddy repeatedly uses the word admit and admission; we must accept, admit these Truths and work with them to prove their reality to ourselves. When I utter the Truth I must ask myself : Believeth thou this? Do I trust what I am saying. This should help with some disciplining of thought as to which side I am on.

Gary
    Participant

Thank you for pointing out that we must be willing to leave the old for the new, to be as little children in our willingness to obey our heavenly Father, to try the spirits, whether they be of God or not, etc.

By this time, Jesus had spent three years teaching and demonstrating the laws of the universe by healing all sorts of disease. He was nearing the end of his mission, and he was expecting some people to begin to understand the Principle of his work. Afterward, he admitted to his disciples that there were some things he could tell them, but that they were not ready to hear them. It was left for Mrs. Eddy to discover the “Science” of Christianity. Now that we have the textbook, how serious am I to really learn this science and live my life in accordance with it? How willing am I to test it in my life and to prove Jesus’ assertion that “the works that I do shall ye do also, and greater works than these…”?

In last week’s lesson, we read “For true happiness, man must harmonize with his Principle, divine Love;” (S&H) In order to harmonize with our Principle, we must know what it is! And since we are all looking for happiness, why not trust Mrs. Eddy and Jesus when they tell us to look for happiness in divine Principle. This must be what Jesus meant by his use of the word that is translated “believe.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.