Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Binding the strong man

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christ Jesus — August 30th, 2020 Binding the strong man

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    KarenM
    Participant

“No man can enter into a strong man’s house. and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.” (Mark 3:27)

“Mortal mind is “the strong man,” which must be held in subjection before its influence upon health and morals can be removed. This error conquered, we can despoil “the strong” of his goods,-namely, of sin and disease.” (S&H p.399)

Subjection–The act of subduing; the act of vanquishing and bringing under the dominion of another.(Webster’s 1828 dictionary)
    Despoil–to strip, to rob

Before coming to Plainfield church I did not really understand what was meant by “the strong man”. As a result of working with my practitioner and Roundtables and Bible Studies, etc.I am learning that in Christian Science I am never dealing with a sick body or a sick business or troubled relationships, or even real world problems that seem to be coming at us from all sides. It is all the so-called mortal mind that I am dealing with and when I can fully realize this and the nothingness of what Mrs. Eddy says has no real existence, then it and it’s “goods” are cast out. This has helped me to turn away from the suggestions that come and deal with the false talker, mortal mind. I like how Peter V. Ross talks about this in Leaves of Healing p, 94, “You can bind all impediments,…as you bind that strong man of deception whom Scriptures warn against. And you bind him by knowing that the Almighty is in the midst of you, alert to every emergency…..He knows just how to put His hand on each trespasser, tie him hand and foot, and eject him from the house—and He just delights in doing so. Fortunate are you to have such a defender.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.