Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Boldness and Authority

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – August 11th, 2019 Boldness and Authority

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

3. Acts 4
    31 …and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

The word boldness is in the citation three times; here is part of the 1828 Webster’s definition:

Boldness
    Courage; bravery; intrepidity; spirit; fearlessness.
    1. … the quality of exceeding the ordinary rules of scrupulous nicety and caution; …
    2. Freedom from timidity; liberty.
    3. Confidence; confident trust.

The Bible mentions how Christ Jesus spoke and taught “as one having authority” (Matthew 7:29) and certainly this was more than boldness – at least as I had previously thought of it – because the rest of that verse is “and not as the scribes.” If the scribes, having human authority, couldn’t speak or teach with the bold authority of Jesus, then where is the difference? In my youth, a lot of Christian pastors and evangelists my mother listened to spoke loudly, but left no real mark on me. Today it feels like the internet allows people to state opinion in a bold way, but a closer look reveals the words are without any bedrock of Truth; the result can be sleepy numbness from the noise.

When I hear my practitioner or others in the church speak with that real boldness and authority, it has a much different effect: First, I can tell they have been living Christian Science and have proved the point in question; and second, it instills a feeling that with effort and study and prayer on my part, I can get there as well. Instead of feeling numb afterward, I am awake and alert, and energized to get back to work. Such a profound difference between the real and the counterfeit!

As I have been learning here, “In Science we can use only what we understand. We must prove our faith by demonstration.” (S&H, p. 329) To really prove these things for myself has allowed me to have that “confident trust” and “freedom from timidity” Webster mentions, at least in accord with those demonstrations. There seems to be this moving mark, where on the near side I can speak with authority on the healing and saving power of Science because I have worked those portions out, and on the far side of that mark is where I have not proved, and would be unwise for me to speak on.

I am grateful to this church and practitioner support for helping me to continue moving that mark, to continue “in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free”! (Galatians 5:1) Thank you!

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughtful post, Jeremy!

I have finally found “freedom from timidity”, timidity that was really the status quo that I found for decades in most of my interaction with the mainstream C.S. churches. I was timid to talk about C.S. to those outside the movement, and many others were timid to talk about C.S. even inside the movement. Although I encountered many really nice people, it was rare when someone would be “filled with the Spirit” and MOVE me! Fast forward when I came to Plainfield, I could FEEL the Spirit in the church and everything changed. Right then and there I knew this place was different. Only since coming here have I had the confidence to hand out Science and Health to people–it was the Spirit that moved me each time! Sometimes it’s quite natural; other times it takes a bit of boldness to do it, but the rewards have been shown to be wonderful and unexpected. Each person who receives Science and Health has been touched in some way. Maybe not all have read it, but that’s OK, because the seed has been planted.

Today I have no problem speaking boldly about God and the Laws of the Universe to people–every day presents its opportunities to bring God into a conversation, even if it’s as simple as declaring, “with God all things are possible”(Matt. 19:26, Mark 10:27), or “Honesty is spiritual power” (S&H p. 453)–and often I can link these Laws to Christian Science. Boy do people perk up when they hear the Truth! Speaking up is something I can now do without fear, and I’m so grateful to Plainfield for showing me the way.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.