Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

bowels of mercies

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies,” Colossians 3:12

Bowels: The seat of pity or kindness; hence, tenderness, compassion, a scriptural sense. Mercy: pity Seat: The place where a thing is settled or established. (Websters 1828)

During our last Roundtable the above citation was discussed. We were instructed that resentment is a poison we take ourselves. The question was asked, “How merciful are you?” We were reminded that when having trouble forgiving someone to pity them.

This story was used as an example.
    “Talbot Mundy, in his volume, The Devil’s Guard, published in 1927, narrates the story of a man traveling in Tibet who is seized upon and tortured by a band of men that would be classified as malpractitioners, in that they were endeavoring to gain an erroneous mental control over the traveler. Despite their efforts, this adventurer endeavored to love these men who were torturing him, but, because they were so despicable, he found himself unequal to the task. But he found he could pity them. This he did. It was not until after he had escaped from their clutches, that he learned that these men constituted an organization of priests, whose motives were base, seeking his downfall through gaining a mental domination over him. It was then that he discovered, that his ability to pity them had saved him, because they could not gain entrance into his mind, as long as a sense of pity was flowing out. If they could have made him hate, that would have opened his thought to them.” Footsteps by Carpenter, Chapter 41

I was healed of a stomach issue during this class as the Truth was spoken and I changed my thinking regarding something I was feeling resentment about. Letting go of the anger was a blessing and want to continue to work on cleansing myself of resentment.

“The Christian Scientist cherishes no resentment; he knows that that would harm him more than all the malice of his foes.” By Mary Baker Eddy, Message 1902 p, 19

BarbaraW
    Participant

Thanks so much for expanding on this story and its import, so helpful!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Yes, thank you so much for this quote and story from Carpenter. It is the one I was referring to at the last Roundtable (10/21/18).

Susanne
    Participant

This whole discussion of forgiveness, resentment and pity has been extremely helpful. I had never really understood what pity meant, nor the danger of resentment, “a poison we take ourselves”. Now all this is becoming clearer; I too want to eradicate any lingering resentment I may be harboring. Thank you!

Michael Pupko
    Participant

From The Healner, The Healing Work of Mary Baker Eddy by David Keyston p.42:

A demonstration from about 1870 of Mrs. Eddy’s recounted by Mrs. Charles Slade. An emaciated, totally crippled man stopped at their door while Mrs. Eddy was there and she “gave him some scrip.” Mrs. Slade later saw the man completely healed. When Mrs. Eddy “asked by her students as to how she healed him, Mrs. Eddy simply said: “When I looked on that man, my heart gushed with unspeakable pity and prayer.””

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.