Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Broken Spirit

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chardelle

GOLDEN TEXT: PSALM 51 : 17

“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart.”
    This made me think about the first Beatitude .. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3
    In her book Irma Stewart says that the poor in spirit feel their spiritual need. She goes on ….human existence is like sleepwalking “Hence a human sense of things must needs awaken.”
    The only other time that,… for theirs is the kingdom of heaven … declared is the eighth Beatitude that says Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake:for theirs if the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10
    Thank you Lesson writers!

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Thank you, so beautifully stated!! If I’d read this first it would have saved writing what I did on the other thread!!

JoanneF
    Participant

Webster’s 1828 dictionary defines “break” (broken) – to subdue the passions; to train to obedience; to make tractable, as to break a horse.

I love Hymn 69; it often helps me to subdue unruly errors:

“Give me, O Lord, an understanding heart,
    That I may learn to know myself in Thee,
    To spurn the wrong and choose the better part
    And thus from sinful bondage be set free.

Give me, O Lord, a meek and contrite heart,
    That I may learn to quell all selfish pride,
    Bowing before Thee, see Thee as Thou art
    And ’neath Thy sheltering presence safely hide.

Give me, O Lord, a gentle, loving heart,
    That I may learn to be more tender, kind,
    And with Thy healing touch, each wound and smart
    With Christly bands of Love and Truth to bind.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.