Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Brought Nothing and Taking Nothing

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Matter – March 19th, 2017 Brought Nothing and Taking Nothing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

I Timothy 6: 6 (godliness)- 7
    6 …godliness with contentment is great gain.
    7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

The mesmerism of life in matter has the world obsessed with money, achievements, career until we wake up to this mesmeric lie, find and follow Christ, find our right place working for the glory of God, blessing much and having greater peace and happiness in our lives.
    It is a call for part of our consistent work, when a lot of children answer with material things, like a big car, a big house, supposed great careers etc. when asked what they would like in life. Interestingly they often don’t mention God, health, peace, etc; because these are not what they see or hear emphasized as what is important.

These verses need referring to often to keep our focus on the greater purpose of life.

Susanne
    Participant

I sometimes remind myself that “nothing belongs to us, everything belongs to God” and that God’s bounty is for us to enjoy freely, but not take pride in owning, or lose perspective in coveting.

When I was given the surprise opportunity to ride in a historic million dollar Rolls Royce outfitted for an American heiress, for instance, I was grateful for the opportunity to experience beautiful craftsmanship and the loving care provided by the mechanics, without having to actually own it myself!

I’ve found that releasing the desire to have, yet rejoicing in the spiritual qualities the items embody, such as beauty, abundance, order, etc. allows us to come into contact with such things at the right time and place.

How many times in history have people slaved to build their dream house over a long period of time, only to end up never living in it or for only a short time. It is a sobering reminder to keep our eye on what is true substance, the things of God.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.