Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Changes to come

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

Thank you to the lesson writer–this is always one of my favorite subjects.

This lesson is a wonderful treatment for the belief of climate change that is gripping the planet in fear of an impending doomsday scenario. Are we to be swept along this river of panic? Or do we proclaim that God knows how to, and will, care for His creation?

Mrs. Eddy states in S&H, citation 11: “The seasons will come and go with changes of time and tide, cold and heat, latitude and longitude. The agriculturist will find that these changes cannot affect his crops. “As a vesture shalt Thou change them and they shall be changed. …”

There is and has always been a general fear of change in human thinking. People want to cling to the “good old days”, and yet those don’t really exist. True change is continued evolution and revolution of thought, always progressing!

I love Mrs. Eddy’s definition on page 585 of “Euphrates (river). Divine Science encompassing the universe and man; the true idea of God; a type of the glory which is to come; metaphysics taking the place of physics; the reign of righteousness.”

When I think of climate change, I have the choice to either see a baffling and alarming material picture (with its contradictions of either global warming or cooling going on, for example), or to translate what is being shown into the spiritual reality of things: “Divine Science encompassing the universe and man” (not the secular atheist vision being sold). “All nature teaches God’s love to man” (S&H p. 326)–am I seeing the beauty of God’s love everywhere in its infinite abundance?

In this river of “Divine Science encompassing the universe and man; the true idea of God; a type of the glory which is to come; metaphysics taking the place of physics; the reign of righteousness”, is there anything to fear? While doing my best to steward the beautiful nature around me on our property–caring for the plants, animals, trees and honeybees–I can also pray that my thought be always washed clean with the living waters of Truth right from the Euphrates.

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Thank you for this instructive post.

What I find fascinating is how the Bible warns us of coming calamities if we continue in wrong thinking in opposition to God’s Word as given in the Bible. Yet most forms and sects of ‘Christianity’ don’t acknowledge that wrong thinking has bad results because so far as I know of, only Christian Science through Mary Baker Eddy’s teaching not only tells us it does; but also that it is our responsibility to do something proactive about it.

Taking care of our ‘own little space’ is doing much; we have to start somewhere. I’m grateful for many testimonies from the members of this church on “peace be still” and the positive outcomes when applied to predictions or experiences of bad weather. I’ve also experienced the harmonizing effects of prayer in regards to inclement weather and in the past disappointment that this prayer didn’t dissipate the belief of the whole storm. So I work to be grateful for all positive results and to do better ‘next time’:) And follow our Leader better by strengthening my faith.

Mrs. Eddy addresses this in Miscellany p. 292:
    My answer to the inquiry, “Why did Christians of every sect in the United States fail in their prayers to save the life of President McKinley,” is briefly this: Insuffi­cient faith or spiritual understanding, and a compound of prayers in which one earnest, tender desire works uncon­sciously against the modus operandi of another, would prevent the result desired. In the June, 1901, Message to my church in Boston, I refer to the effect of one human desire or belief unwittingly neutralizing another, though both are equally sincere.
    In the practice of materia medica, croton oil is not mixed with morphine to remedy dysentery, for those drugs are supposed to possess opposite qualities and so to produce opposite effects. The spirit of the prayer of the righteous heals the sick, but this spirit is of God, and the divine Mind is the same yesterday, today, and forever; where­as the human mind is a compound of faith and doubt, of fear and hope, of faith in truth and faith in error.The knowledge that all things are possible to God ex­cludes doubt, but differing human concepts as to the divine power and purpose of infinite Mind, and the so­ called power of matter, act as the different properties of drugs are supposed to act — one against the other — and this compound of mind and matter neutralizes itself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.