Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Christian Science healing vs New Age visualization

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul and Body – November 25th, 2018 Christian Science healing vs New Age visualization

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

The following came up while looking into “Soul and Body.” It is from pages 17 to 19 of the 1934 address, in Association Addresses by Bicknell Young. I felt it offered a useful explanation why Christian Science healing is different from New Age visualization and similar beliefs. That difference is why Christian Science works, and everything else does not.

A healing in Christian Science, whatever may be the nature of the case, is a divine event and resounds through the ages but if it were not also a human event it would have no practical value for us. We do not demonstrate health primarily but we demonstrate one Being, Mind and idea, Soul and body, wherein our wholeness is indigenous. But here arises the question, how far thought may be permitted to visualize the results of the treatment. Is it proper not only to declare the restorative healing action of omnipotence but mentally to behold and thereby to be sure of the improvement or healing?

In answering this question it is well to first observe that it would be obviously erroneous mentally to behold or to be conscious of no improvement or no result of the treatment. In Science & Health the definition of Mind says: “… Deity, which outlines but is not outlined.” (591:19).

When Jesus commanded Lazarus to come forth, he unquestionably exercised the prerogative of Mind in out­lining the event. He knew that Lazarus would come forth, “… even the self-same Lazarus.” (Miscellany 218: 10-11).

Such a result could not appear if a mere personal sense of patient and practitioner obscured the Science of Mind, but if Mind and the immutability of the law of Mind constitutes the treatment then the result of the treatment is as much a part of the treatment as anything else in it, and in this way we may say it is legitimately outlined, — that is to say, the result of the treatment is actual, real and humanly evident, as it must be in order to ac­complish what Science & Health calls “. . . the meta­physical healing of physical disease …” ( 150:13-14).

The attempt to outline the results of divine action is objectionable only because human thought however much improved, can only imagine what the divine effect might be; but when Mind is actually demonstrated, or speaking more accurately, actually demonstrates its own presence and power, then the healing may be mentally visible be­fore it is humanly apparent, and because of the om­nipotence of Mind, so demonstrated, the human evidence of healing becomes inevitable. “… ideas are perfectly real and tangible to spiritual consciousness …” (Science & Health 269:17-18).

Perception of Truth is a step in understanding. It should not be mistaken for understanding, neither should emotion be mistaken for inspiration. Perception leads to inspiration and the consequent realization of Truth, but inspiration is so sane and sure and secure when genuine that it is unafraid and is the dominion that is the real man.

Mind knows, sees, hears, feels, and is Its own per­fection and this reality necessarily excludes the belief and the evidence of disease.

JPalmer
    Participant

This explanation has helped me see past some questions and concerns I have had for myself.

Am I lacking in my demonstration of Christian Science because I don’t have the body of an Olympic athlete? Or is it more important that I am suited to do the work for this church that God has given me? I may not be able to run a 4 minute mile, but I can sit at my computer and stay focused for hours with great joy and no discomfort.

Should I be concerned that I don’t have the vision of an eagle? Or is it more important that I can read the lesson and sort through a bunch of code each day? Finding that missing end bracket is much more useful to me than seeing a mouse 200 yards away.

Perhaps because I read a lot of comics as a kid I have always felt lacking because I am no superhero. That human sense was imagining “what the divine effect might be” as I learned more of Christian Science, but the reality has taken a different route that I am honestly much more grateful for.

I am no longer at war with myself inside. That awful voice which berated me constantly only rarely shows and is instantly told to get behind me, and it does! Each day I am useful, and my contribution is a blessing. I love doing the kind of work I am doing, and it makes me smile all the time, even when alone. The “Jeremy” of now may look the same, but where it counts I am unrecognizable.

These are the changes that I thought were too much to ask for, and yet Christian Science has provided the way to them.

Thank you!

chardelle

THANK YOU

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Jeremy is just a lump of clay as taught in Jeremiah: God reforms us in the correct Way if we allow it which he has proven!

I tried making pottery in an adult course years ago. Though I greatly enjoyed it I didn’t have the immediate skill of the talented ones: my ‘creations’ came out thick walled, heavy, and clunky; well suited for boat anchors!! It was a joy to watch the instructor and others instantly take that same lump of clay up and down as they were inspired, into infinite graceful forms:)

Michael Pupko
    Participant

I feel ‘new age’ is a compliment and testament to Mary Baker Eddy. As she states and subsequent discoveries of my own prove correct; over the years various Christian people (Martin Luther) or even denominations (Methodists) believed/had the ability to heal on ‘occasion’ rather than Scientifically as Christ Jesus did as well as Mary Baker Eddy for all of us today. Unfortunately Mrs. Eddy’s work brought out a whole ‘new age’ of counterfeiters who were lead astray by idolatry to splinter away from pure Christian Science (pure Christianity) even as they ‘borrowed light’ from this pure Science thus creating confusion.

One such splinter group was Unity whose initiator was healed through Christian Science. The Pentecostal denomination, began about 1900, is an example of a group from what I can see didn’t specifically begin with a straying Scientist but obviously was inspired by the revelation to this age which Mary Baker Eddy gave to mankind. Not only was Mrs. Eddy the first person in 2000 years to say Christ Jesus’ Way was the Word of God attainable to all mankind, but is also prophesied in the Bible as Jesus is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.