Topic: Commands Man to Master the Propensities | Member Section

Welcome to the lesson forum page. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in. If it is your first time on the new website, please click "Lost Password" and then add the username or email you had on the former website. It will send a reset code to your email and you will be on quickly. Thank you!

Commands Man to Master the Propensities

We gladly welcome your comments on our Forum and Bulletin Board but we do maintain the right to edit and/or take down anything we feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – March 5th, 2017 Commands Man to Master the Propensities

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Florence 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Florence
    Participant

SH 405 : 5-11 Christian Science commands man to master the propensities, — to hold hatred in abeyance with kindness, to conquer lust with chastity, revenge with charity, and to overcome deceit with honesty. Choke these errors in their early stages, if you would not cherish an army of conspirators against health, happiness, and success. (Emphasis added)

If for any reason I am resisting this command, then am I not kicking against the pricks…. rebelling against authority as Saul was doing, and therefore suffer even more. This explains why I felt so bad when I could not forgive and allowed the so called wrong done to dominate my thoughts. Prayerful surrender to God’s demands saves and restores peace.

This from questions.org is interesting.

Question: “What does it mean to kick against the pricks?”
    Answer: “It is hard for you to kick against the pricks” was a Greek proverb, but it was also familiar to the Jews and anyone who made a living in agriculture. An ox goad was a stick with a pointed piece of iron on its tip used to prod the oxen when plowing. The farmer would prick the animal to steer it in the right direction. Sometimes the animal would rebel by kicking out at the prick, and this would result in the prick being driven even further into its flesh. In essence, the more an ox rebelled, the more it suffered. Thus, Jesus’ words to Saul on the road to Damascus: “It is hard for you to kick against the pricks.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.