Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Deny himself.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” Matthew 16″ 24

“Deny: To withhold; to disown; to refuse or neglect to acknowledge; to reject; not to embrace; not to yield.” Webster’s 1828 Dictionary

I thought about, “deny himself” and for me it meant if I am focused on personal self (plans, fears, human will, demands, etc) then I am denying the Christ. I am a full vessel with no room left for Christ. Below is a citation that spoke to me of some of the things we are actively doing when we “deny” personal self. All things we are taught in our classes here to do daily.

“It is wise to be willing to wait on God, and to be wiser than serpents; to hate no man, to love one’s enemies, and to square accounts with each passing hour. …Happiness consists in being and in doing good; only what God gives, and what we give ourselves and others through His tenure, confers happiness: conscious worth satisfies the hungry heart, and nothing else can. Consult thy every-day life; take its answer as to thy aims, motives, fondest purposes, and this oracle of years will put to flight all care for the world’s soft flattery or its frown. … Be faithful at the temple gate of conscience, wakefully guard it; then thou wilt know when the thief cometh.” by Mary Baker Eddy, from 1902, page 17-18

chardelle

Thank you for this post. While working with the denial of worrisome thoughts and embracing true humility and concentrating on following God instead of my plans, citation 2 from SH is helping me.. 114 : 23-29
    Christian Science explains all cause and effect as mental, not physical. It lifts the veil of mystery from Soul and body. It shows the scientific relation of man to God, disentangles the interlaced ambiguities of being, and sets free the imprisoned thought. In divine Science, the universe, including man, is spiritual, harmonious, and eternal.
    This lead me to the Bible Study on May 9th with the introduction from Visions of September 10, 1891 where it says,” … as long as there is one student on earth who is working on the demonstration that connects man with God so that the divine Mind may be brought into the world, the Cause is safe.” Thank you for the classes and Lessons that bring us into all Truth.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.