Topic: Desolation | Member Section

Welcome to the lesson forum page. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in. If it is your first time on the new website, please click "Lost Password" and then add the username or email you had on the former website. It will send a reset code to your email and you will be on quickly. Thank you!

Desolation

We gladly welcome your comments on our Forum and Bulletin Board but we do maintain the right to edit and/or take down anything we feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JPalmer 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

JPalmer
    Participant

Golden Text: Psalm 34 : 22
    The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

“Desolate” in the 1828 Webster’s:
    1. Destitute or deprived of inhabitants; desert; uninhabited; denoting either stripped of inhabitants, or never having been inhabitated; as a desolate isle; a desolate wilderness.
    2. Laid waste; in a ruinous condition; neglected; destroyed; as desolate altars; desolate towers.
    3. Solitary; without a companion; afflicted.
    4. Deserted of God; deprived of comfort.

From Mark 13 (the readings for the February 4th, 2017 Bible Study):
    14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

I had been praying about this verse from Mark 13, but then the Golden Text this week gave me much comfort.

I know what it is like to have an existence “in a ruinous condition” and to feel “without a companion” and “deprived of comfort.” I know enough of desolation to know I don’t want it. Therefore, to avoid desolation I need to trust God, since “none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.”

But it is more than just avoiding desolation; Christian Science teaches that we must know God’s universe is perfect. If I see desolation in the world, “standing where it ought not,” I can’t allow myself to get down about it or drawn into it — I must work to purify my consciousness and see mankind and the world correctly. I must “flee to the mountains,” the higher thoughts of Truth, Life, and Love, until I see that God’s reality contains no desolation, and that there is only His reality.

This gives me more appreciation of why Christ Jesus went up to the mountain when he needed to retreat from the worldly thought. It also gives me great gratitude for Christian Science, for this church, for practitioner support, and for the blessing it is to be a part of this mission! Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.