Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Devotion

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“The substance of all devotion is the reflection and demonstration of divine Love.” Mary Baker Eddy

The Bible studies on Isaiah, Noah and Elijah have given us tremendous examples of people who express deep devotion to God. I am learning at Plainfield a new sense of love both for God and mankind. The results of practicing what is taught is showing me the healing and power behind these teachings which demonstrates the truth of these Biblical principles.

The definitions are from Webster’s 1828:

DEVOTION: The state of being dedicated, consecrated, or solemnly set apart for a particular purpose…a yielding of the heart and affections to God, with reverence,…Ardent love or affection; attachment manifested by constant attention; Earnestness

SUBSTANCE: Something real, something solid, not empty.

DEMONSTRATION: exhibiting certain proof

I saw this and asked myself, “what am I devoted to, where is my heart today, this moment, what am I giving constant attention to? I see that to have devotion to God it must be real and have proof. Mrs. Eddy tells us action express gratitude. Learning what honesty means my devotion must be a love for God from the heart. Before Plainfield I had not idea what dedication and work is required to walking with God. I also did not know what a joy it was until I started to be more obedient.

Susanne
    Participant

When I read this, “The substance of all devotion is the reflection and demonstration of divine Love, healing sickness and destroying sin”, it is the “healing sickness and destroying sin” that really stood out to me as the substance of all devotion. So if my reflecting and demonstrating divine Love isn’t healing sickness and destroying sin (demonstration, following Jesus’ example), then my devotion lacks substance. For me, that’s food for thought.

Gary
    Participant

Thank you both. This is a really good test of whether my life has meaning or not. I believe that Mrs. Eddy referred to the “reflection and demonstration of divine love, healing sickness and destroying sin” as the substance of ALL devotion, because it is the only thing that matters. If I have a devotion (dedication, consecration, etc.) for anything else, I’m just wasting time and energy on something that will never satisfy or leave a lasting positive impression on anyone. Why? Because, as you implied, it has no substance.
    I just love the way Christian Science gives clarity to life (Life!) and all it’s meaning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.