Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Diligence, Virtue, and Temperance

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Love – July 30th, 2017 Diligence, Virtue, and Temperance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

7. II Peter 1
    5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
    6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
    7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Here are abridged definitions from the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary of diligence, virtue, and temperance:

Diligence
    1. Steady application in business of any kind; constant effort to accomplish what is undertaken;

These words from Science and Health (p. 95:32-3) seem to be Mrs. Eddy’s warning about what happens if we fail in this:
    Humanity advances slowly out of sinning sense into spiritual understanding; unwillingness to learn all things rightly, binds Christendom with chains.

Virtue
    1. Strength; that substance or quality of physical bodies, by which they act and produce effects on other bodies.
    2. Bravery valor. This was the predominant signification of virtus among the Romans.
    3. Moral goodness; the practice of moral duties and the abstaining from vice, or a conformity of life and conversation to the moral law.
    4. A particular moral excellence; as the virtue of temperance, of chastity, of charity.
    5. Acting power; something efficacious.
    6. Secret agency; efficacy without visible or material action.e; or that which constitutes value and merit.
    7. Excellence; or that which constitutes value and merit.
    9. Efficacy; power.

The thought that I must add moral strength, courage (bravery), excellence, and power, to faith means so much more to me than “add to your faith virtue” did before this definition.

Temperance
    1. Moderation; particularly, habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; as temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth. temperance in eating and drinking is opposed to gluttony and drunkenness, and in other indulgences, to excess.
    2. Patience; calmness; sedateness; moderation of passion.

As for temperance, I always had this idea that it meant keeping your temper in check. Certainly patience and calmness are mentioned, but I had no idea it also meant moderation as described.

Because of these definitions, I am starting to see how these qualities are important, but even more, that the order of qualities shows a progressive building upon that gains the most blessing. This has given me the following interpretation (bold from II Peter 1):

giving all diligence
    I must start with the ability to apply “constant effort to accomplish what is undertaken;” – that willingness to learn all things rightly.

add to your faith virtue
    Then add moral strength, courage (bravery), excellence, and power, to my understanding of God.

and to virtue knowledge;
    Then continue to learn more about the allness of God and the nothingness of error.

And to knowledge temperance;
    As my understanding of the spiritual increases, the material must be reined in more and more. This reminds me of the tempering process of metals, which is where heat is applied to make the metal tougher so it doesn’t crack during use.

and to temperance patience;
    At each step – and no matter how hot it gets! – I must be grateful for where I am, and never be discouraged about not being further along.

and to patience godliness;
    Progress will happen in God’s time, not mine.

And to godliness brotherly kindness;
    An increase in spirituality must never coincide with exasperation with someone at a “lower” step.

and to brotherly kindness charity.
    I must never forget we are all in this together: Meeting the need should always be a priority.

Thank you for this lesson!

Betty S
    Participant

Thank you for this post. In the past when reading this passage I had wondered why Godliness was closer to the end. Now I get it. Spirituality isn’t an end unto itself but rather is a step to becoming more loving in the truest sense of the word.

chardelle

Beautiful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.