Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Discerning the rights of man

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

This week’s Lesson continues with Abraham’s seed from last week.”For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman….So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.”

The pharisees argued with Jesus on this point, being full with self righteousness. They lacked true awareness of their deep bondage, “…under the elements of the world”. They held fast to will and intellect, insisting they were freemen because of their lineage to Abraham.

“Through repentance, spiritual baptism, and regeneration, mortals put off their material beliefs and false individuality.” Science and Health.

Are my thoughts, “…prepared to receive Christ, Truth”?(Being freed of hate, fear, pride, etc.)
    AM I standing, “fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free,” Galatians 5
    “…to be firm and unyielding in maintaining the great principles of Christian liberty. They had been freed from the bondage of rites and ceremonies; and they should by no means, and in no form, yield to them again.” Barnes Notes

“Discerning the rights of man, we cannot fail to foresee the doom of all oppression. Slavery is not the legitimate state of man. God made man free. Christian Science raises the standard of liberty and cries: “Follow me! Escape from the bondage of sickness, sin, and death!” Jesus marked out the way. Citizens of the world, accept the ‘glorious liberty of the children of God,’ and be free! This is your divine right.”

Thank you Plainfield for all that is done to help us understand, “our divine right” and the principles involved in finding freedom.

chardelle

Thank you. 14. 227 : 14-16 (to 2nd .), 21-26

Discerning the rights of man, we cannot fail to foresee the doom of all oppression. Slavery is not the legitimate state of man. God made man free.
    Christian Science raises the standard of liberty and cries: “Follow me! Escape from the bondage of sickness, sin, and death!” Jesus marked out the way. Citizens of the world, accept the “glorious liberty of the children of God,” and be free! This is your divine right.

This text jumped out at me this week because I have been reading DISCERNING THE RIGHTS OF MAN by Richard Oaks (1971). This pamphlet explains how Gilbert Carpenter Junior and Senior went about sharing, with the public, the writings of Mary Baker Eddy and other early workers as well as his own involvement in supporting their tremendous efforts. Jesus said, “And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.”

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for these posts! I just read “Discerning the Rights of Man” by Richard Oakes and it has given me a much better view of the work the Carpenters did to make sure important works by and regarding Mary Baker Eddy would not be hidden away. We now have access to many of these works through our website, and that is a very good thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.