Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Divine Mind our only Mind

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Mind – August 20th, 2017 Divine Mind our only Mind

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

In S&H citation 12 it is pointed out that man “has no separate mind from God”… OK, I’ve read this so very many times, but it has become clearer to me lately. This is a central point in Christian Science, as pointed out by Gilbert Carpenter (adapted from Watches, Prayers, Arguments & Mary Baker Eddy, Her Spiritual Footsteps, from our Watches page):

“The ultimate of the entire teaching of Christian Science is to restore to man his consciousness of divine Mind as his only Mind.”

This has stood out to me for several weeks now! And the article “Oneness” by Bicknell Young is helping me to grasp this truth. I feel like I’ve somehow missed this grand point my whole life, and it is now being illuminated for me.

Mr. Carpenter goes on to say: “Although Pleasant View [Mrs.Eddy’s home] was destroyed, it can be thought of as a state of consciousness – where one strives to use every activity of daily life to establish the divine Mind as his only Mind.” What a beautiful thought is this!

There is much to ponder as to how to practice this, how to gain and maintain this state of consciousness. Thoughts?

Rae
    Participant

Hi Susanne,
    Thanks for the question. One way I practice this is using material things with a spiritual intention. Like when dressing in the morning, equating it with putting on my spiritual armor. When nourishing the body with food, silently giving thanks for all the spiritual nourishment for all. When preparing to cook our morning oatmeal, the Rooster canister its stored in is a reminder not to deny Christ consciousness today. To stay awake and choose love over fear. I try to let my life become a walking prayer of gratitude, surrendering my physical senses to the indwelling Christ. Be my eyes, ears, hands and feet today. I try to stay in the awareness of the presence of God as I go through the day. Some days are easier than others. But if I can see everything here as a reflection of God’s love, then how uplifting the day. Then I can see God in everyone, being only Love.

I would love to hear from others on this.

Rae

parthens
    Participant

“I Met God in the Morning”

I met God in the morning,
    When my day was at its best
    And His presence came like sunrise,
    Like a glory in my breast.

All day long the Presence lingered;
    All day long He stayed with me;
    And we sailed in perfect calmness
    O’er a very troubled sea.

Other ships were blown and battered,
    Other ships were sore distressed,
    But the winds that seemed to drive them
    Brought to us a peace and rest.

Then I thought of other mornings,
    With a keen remorse of mind.
    When I too had loosed the moorings
    With the Presence left behind.

So, I think I know the secret,
    Learned from many a troubled way;
    You must seek Him in the morning
    If you want Him through the day.
    — Ralph Spaulding Cushman

Mrs Eddy admonishes me in the Blue Book:
    “WATCH – The first thing in the morning, call on God to deliver you
    from temptation and help you to be awake.
    Then do your chores, not as a dreamy hashish eater, but with a clear sense of what to do
    and just how to do it.
    Then sit down and first get yourself into a consciousness of your
    power with God, and
    then take up the outside watch.
    Sit until this is clear, – [even]if [it takes] two hours.” [emphasis added]

So,the secret to bettering world conditions (taking up “the outside watch”) is not to rush precipitously into a watch every time I am made aware of a need or crisis. It took Queen Esther 3 days to get the Mind of God regarding the threat to her and her people, to shake off her human feelings of agitated, frantic concern. “First get yourself into a consciousness of your power with God.” Only then could she approach the King with her request, which a metaphor for anyone approaching God with a watch/request. Esther’s majestic quieting of her mortal mindedness is illustrated by her putting on her royal garments, because having the Mind of God about a problem is having dominion over that problem, which is true majesty.

If I take up any outside watch without first getting myself into a consciousness of my power with God, then my watch is in vain, and I am actually malpracticing on the world instead of uplifting it.

This is also the secret to making one’s individual life outside the prayer-closet a moment-by-moment demonstration of “harmony, health, holiness” that not only affects one’s own life, but is contagious.

chardelle

it is amazing what I have learned here at Plainfield. I don’t even allow myself to think about my family, duties or the world until I declare God as my Mind and my Life. Next comes the Lesson Sermon and something from our website. Then I usually pray using Bicknell Young’s article Day Which states,”Infinite unfoldment never begins, never ends,is never interrupted for a moment, and when you are declaring this forever unfoldment of God’s day, plan and purpose this is healing for today..” I also repeat as best I can from the Bible Psalm 143…”Cause me to hear Thy loving kindness in the morning for in Thee do I put my trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk for I lift up my soul unto Thee.” As has been suggested, I ask God what He wants me to do today… and for the strength to do it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.