Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Every perfect gift is from above.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Substance — September 13th, 2020 Every perfect gift is from above.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” James 1 : 17

I love how the Daily watch this week was perfectly chosen to blend with the Lesson.

“449 — WATCH that you bear in mind that God is not separate from the blessings He bestows, in the sense that His expression carries His qualities. On this basis we declare that God never sends man gifts; He always brings them.
    We cannot believe that any part of His expression lacks any of His qualities. Food as spiritual nutriment designed to support man, cannot be separated from God’s love and care; hence it cannot produce suffering or death. Neither does it sustain man of itself; it must be considered to be the expression of God’s love.” From 500 Watching Points by Gilbert Carpenter

A few weeks ago I came across the following also by Carpenter –
    “At this point let us consider the demonstration in connection with food, where one endeavors to realize that all food is a gift of God, that it cannot be matter, and that mortal mind cannot be back of it, since divine Mind is forever present with it.”
    Precepts 4 by Gilbert Carpenter

Do I always see food as a gift from God and as an expression of His love and care? Do I pay attention to the thought back of the food I have? Do I treat myself as the “temple of the Holy Ghost?” Do I feel I don’t need to consult God regarding food? (what, where, how, when, why) It wasn’t until I came here that I learned more about the love Mrs. Eddy expressed through the food in her home and that it was always to be right with God from beginning to end. I am grateful for the many ways I am learning to make Christian Science practical in all areas of my life especially eating and food,

“How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.” Psalm 36 : 7, 8

KarenM
    Participant

Thank you for your post. There is another Watching point in 500 Watching points that goes so well with this week’s watching point. Watch
    #285 says “Jesus encouraged the eating of food, showing that at our present stage of experience, it is not food that we must eliminate, but the belief that it is material, that it can affect man adversely either through quality or quantity, or that it can be the medium for mortal mind. When Jesus met with his disciples at supper, the eating of food became a channel for a spiritual uplift. When food is seen as a channel for inspiration and blessing, man’s spiritual nature is fed, at the same time his temporary material needs are taken care of.”

Since this beautiful lesson is on “Substance” we can use this same analogy for any gift. In the same watch “nerves” are referred to not as “..the medium through which mortal man becomes conscious of matter, pain, suffering, disease, death but….methods of communicating spiritual ideas; they are the spiritual antenna over which are transmitted the precious messages of good. Spiritually considered they are
    God-given means by which man becomes conscious of God, man and the universe.” This is why in the Bible reference that was given in the original post it says that every good gift comes from above and has “no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

parthens
    Participant

“Meekly we kneel at our Master’s feet, for even a crumb that falleth from his table. We are hungry for Love, for the white-winged charity that heals and saves; we are tired of theoretic husks, — as tired as was the prodigal son of the carobs which he shared with the swine, to whom he fed that wholesome but unattractive food” (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 369:19–24).

“‘The earth brought forth food for man’s use.’ Do not say there is no intelligence in food, but instead, strive for the intelligence that sees what both earth and food are. Adhere to the statement that divine intelligence directs man, and governed by it, eats, sleeps, walks, and talks harmoniously” (Collectanea, p. 60).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.