Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

expectation

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.”

I once heard that an expectation was a premeditated resentment. This expectation is based on personal will which comes from pride, fear, condemnation, etc. Since participating here at Plainfield I have been able to begin to understand how to put my expectation in the Lord. In psalms we read, “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” I am finding I need to get myself out of the way. At our Roundtable last Sunday part of the article, Taking Offense by Mary Baker Eddy was read, “Then, we should go forth into life with the smallest expectations, but with the largest patience; with a keen relish for and appreciation of everything beautiful, great, and good, but with a temper so genial that the friction of the world shall not wear upon our sensibilities; with an equanimity so settled that no passing breath nor accidental disturbance shall agitate or ruffle it; with a charity broad enough to cover the whole world’s evil, and sweet enough to neutralize what is bitter in it, —determined not to be offended when no wrong is meant, nor even when it is, unless the offense be against God.”

To me this speaks of putting our expectation in the Lord. I love how the classes and lessons flow and build on each other each week.

Florence
    Participant

“with an equanimity so settled…….”
    EQUANIM’ITY, noun [Latin oequanimitas; oequus and animus, an equal mind.] Evenness of mind; that calm temper or firmness of mind which is not easily elated or depressed, which sustains prosperity without excessive joy, and adversity without violent agitation of the passions or depression of spirits!

This word fits in so well with what was discussed on our last Roundtable about the importance of remaining calm so that we do not loose our Science.

MaryBeth
    Participant

I recently found a beautiful Native American saying, “Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.” This is a wonderful expression of having your expectation from the Lord! This is what Christ Jesus did when he gave thanks to God even before Lazarus was raised from the dead. This is an example of expecting good – rather than predicting and dreading some horrible event to happen. Stand porter at your door of thought, as Mrs. Eddy counsels us. Are you expecting good from your Father? If you are it will help prepare the way to receive it! “Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and don’t mess with Mr. in-between” as the old song goes!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.