Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Faith in matter

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

“The first idolatry was faith in matter.” (S&H) I have been asking myself what faith do I have in matter and making sure I bring everything back to God as the only Cause and Creator. Do I see people as wielding power rather than knowing that God is the only Power? Do I see a rose bud, tree pollen, gluten or any other such thing as causing allergies rather than understanding God’s creation can only bring blessings? Do I feel the weather is beyond His control rather than knowing “Mind’s control of the universe, including man, is not longer an open question but demonstrable Science.” (S&H) Do I see a pay check as the source of my supply forgetting that all my supply is in and of God? Martha Wilcox states in her article “Overcoming by Obedience” – “Our world and all that comprises it is mental and spiritual now, and we only need to have a correct sense of it.”

Susanne
    Participant

Having that “correct sense of it” is our watching, standing porter at the door of thought, as Mary Baker Eddy instructs us, constantly translating what we see into its spiritual signification (wonderful examples above).

It is easier to have faith in matter than we may think–as we may not even realize it!–since we are constantly bombarded with this or that material remedy or advice. One method will contradict the next one that comes along and so on. Having a spiritual sense about things is the only way that makes sense of this mess. Bring everything back to God as you say, and He guides our every move and decision, lifting us up out of the mire of human knowledge.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.