Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Fear and trembling"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man — March 7th, 2021 "Fear and trembling"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JoanneF
    Participant

“Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12)

I grew up in a religion based on fear, so this passage often puzzled me. So, the following explanation of “fear and trembling” from various Bible commentaries was most helpful:

“Not of tormenting misgiving, but of profound reverence and wakeful conscience; not slavish terror, but wholesome, serious caution; a serious, filial fear, implying a deep humility and submissiveness of mind, with a reverential awe of the Divine Majesty. It is an eager, trembling anxiety to obey God in all things. This fear is self-distrust; it is tenderness of conscience; it is vigilance against temptation; it opposes high-mindedness. It is taking heed lest we fall; it is a constant apprehension of the deceitfulness of the heart, and of the insidiousness and power of inward corruption. It is the caution and circumspection which timidly shrinks from whatever would offend and dishonor God and Christ, the Savior.”

Having this type of “fear,” God will work with you “to will and to do of his good pleasure.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.