Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Fear is an abnormal condition

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board Fear is an abnormal condition

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ldshap
    Participant

On the heels of today’s Roundtable discussion (10/23/22) about the need to get rid of fear, the following from Edward A. Kimball is on point, from the chapter entitled “Fear the Chief Procurator of Disease”:

“Permit me to remind you, by way of isolated preface, that the one supreme pest and torment of humanity is fear. Permit me to say that if you were to analyze the subject from premise to conclusion, you would find that fear causes nearly all the sin, nearly all the sickness, nearly all the poverty; it causes nearly all of man’s inhumanity to man, and the strife among nations. Indeed, you would find that fear constitutes the chief and almost the only considerable foe of mankind. Whatever will destroy the fear of this race will practically save the race. And let me declare to you that Christian Science promises to show the way whereby every man and every woman on earth may learn to master that foe, may learn to triumph over the one miserable outrageous cause of human misery.” (Lectures and Articles on Christian Science, p. 258).

“. . . people are taught to be afraid; the necessary result of our philosophy and our teaching brings to pass the man that is afraid; and that constant condition of fear means our constant undoing. We are afraid even of the food we eat, the air we breathe, the sun that shines upon us. It does not make any difference which way we go, somebody wants us to be afraid; and every day we are more afraid, or asked to be afraid of something we never were afraid of before. It is an abnormal condition, and Christian Science is coming, among other things, to eradicate it, and to bring to pass the deliverance of humanity from under its blight.” (ibid., pp. 336-337)

psalaby
    Participant

Thank you Ldshap for your post today!! I don”t think I ever read that chapter by Mr. Kimball.

carolynh
    Participant

We ‘cling steadfastly to God and His idea’ and we ‘allow nothing but His likeness to abide in [our] thought’ and we ‘let neither fear nor doubt overshadow [our] clear sense and calm trust’ in His omnipresence, and keep remembering that God did not ever give us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.