Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Fear to offend God

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – August 5th, 2018 Fear to offend God

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Correct material belief by spiritual understanding, and Spirit will form you anew. You will never fear again except to offend God, and you will never believe that heart or any portion of the body can destroy you.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy p.425

Offend:(from Websters 1828)
    “To transgress the moral or divine law;… hinder in obedience; to cause to sin or neglect duty …to the laws of God, …’We have offended against the Lord already’ (2 Chronicles 28).”

From Matthew Henry Commentary
    “2 Chronicles 28…Those who will not humble themselves under the word of God, will justly be humbled by his judgments. …those (like king Ahaz) are wicked and …are made worse by their afflictions, instead of being made better by them; … men’s affections and devotions are misplaced, when they mistake the author of their trouble and of their help.”

I realize that I had the idea that to offend God was like offending a person who might feel upset, annoyed, or resentful at something I did. I see that this is about obedience to God’s laws and to not neglect my duty to God as written in “Alertness to Duty” by Mrs. Eddy. Since God is unchanging Love and Principle the negative results come from disobedience. His laws are for our protection. I see why blame is wrong and useless because I am responsible for my own behavior toward God. “Therefore “acquaint now thyself with Him, and be at peace.” Be watchful, sober, and vigilant.” S. & H. p.324

In Websters 1828 under fear it reads, “the fear of God is a holy awe or reverence of God and his laws, which springs from a just view and real love of the divine character, leading the subjects of it to hate and shun every thing that can offend such a holy being, and inclining them to aim at perfect obedience.”

spencel
    Participant

I appreciate more the line from Mrs. Eddy’s article “Taking Offense
    “…determined not to be offended when no wrong is meant, nor even when it is, unless the offense be against God. Nothing short of our own errors should offend us.” Miscellaneous Writings, p. 224

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.