Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Felt ye the power of the Word?"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Truth – January 27th, 2019 "Felt ye the power of the Word?"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

“MEET the incipient stages of disease with as POWERFUL mental opposition as a legislator would employ to defeat the passage of an inhuman law. RISE in the conscious strength of spirit to OVERTHROW the plea of mortal mind, alias matter, arrayed against the supremacy of Spirit. BLOT OUT the images of mortal thought and its beliefs in sickness and sin. Then, when thou art delivered to the judgment of the Truth, Christ, the judge will say, ‘Thou art whole!’” (S&H – emphasis added)
    We have been taught to really “work” the pages 390-393 in S&H and by that, I mean live and apply these words, not merely read them. These pages are known as the command statements. Think about the following words and their definitions.
    MEET (to engage in opposition)
    POWERFUL (strong; mighty; having great moral power; able to produce great effects)
    RISE (ascend; to get up; to leave the place of sleep or rest)
    OVERTHROW (to demolish; to defeat; to conquer)
    BLOT (to efface; to erase; to cause to be unseen)
    These are strong, commanding words and when applied with the authority of Christ they can vanquish error’s seeming hold on any situation.
    “Saw ye my Savior? Heard ye the glad sound? Felt ye the power of the Word?”! (Hymn #298)

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you so much for this post. I love the image of a legislator arguing “to defeat the passage of an inhuman law”, and how passionate he would need to be to make his case. He would rise in front of the legislative body, and–using every fiber of his being–awaken the other legislators to join him in rejecting a wrong position by revealing the truth about the situation. He can’t be bland or passive, but he must show moral backbone! And there truly is power in truth: “Honesty is spiritual power” (S&H, p. 453)…and, as the above definition of “powerful” states, it is “able to produce great effects”!

JoanneF
    Participant

Thank you, Mary. Two nights ago I woke in pain and nausea and was unable to fall back to sleep. I turned to these 3 pages (as we have been taught) and after studying them for about 45 minutes, I felt better and was able to fall back to sleep. Such priceless instruction! It DOES work. Thank for you posting it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.