Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

fight all claims of evil

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Whence comes a talking, lying serpent to tempt the children of divine Love? The serpent enters into the metaphor only as evil. We have nothing in the animal kingdom which represents the species described, — a talking serpent, — and should rejoice that evil, by whatever figure presented, contradicts itself and has neither origin nor support in Truth and good. Seeing this, we should have faith to fight all claims of evil, because we know that they are worthless and unreal.” Mary Baker Eddy

At the Roundtable this last Sunday we talked about the danger of “ruminating” and “the accuser”.

I found the synonyms of “ruminate” a very helpful reminder of the many ways “…comes a talking, lying serpent to tempt the children of divine Love…”:
    worry; dwell; stew; sulk; languish; bleed; fret; gnaw; speculate; think about; eat one; grieve; lament

These are habits of thought that pull us into the picture of a life separate from God. It is modeled all around us and considered justified. They were the habits of thought I entertained all my life until I came to Plainfield and have been able to break. I no longer see it as normal, necessary, unavoidable or incurable. Thanks to the correct teachings on the Bible and Mrs. Eddy’s writings I am gaining the tools to combat this evil. We can have dominion over this through Christ and the Word of God.

A Bible dictionary defined “accuser” as, “seeking to uphold his(satan) influence among men…with the view of weakening their influence and injuring the cause (christianity) with which they are identified.”

“Alertness to Duty – It shall be the duty of every member of this Church to defend himself daily against aggressive mental suggestion, and not be made to forget nor to neglect his duty to God, to his Leader, and to mankind. By his works he shall be judged, — and justified or condemned.”Church Manual, Article VIII, Sect. 6

chardelle

Thank you for this post ! I love the way Mrs. Eddy explains the falsity of Genesis 2 and 3. One of my favorites is to remember that there is NO talking lying serpent to tempt us away from who we really are. Romans 13 in the Lesson states,” …now is high time to awake out of sleep: for NOW is our salvation nearer than when we believed.” High time to remember that we are God’s creation and never in the Adam dream!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.