Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

First fruits or last fruits?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Substance – March 17th, 2019 First fruits or last fruits?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

I love Proverbs 3:9: “Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the first fruits of thine increase:” I think I shall write this on the folder that holds our bills to be paid. 🙂

This I found to be quite helpful, in an article “Tithe or Tax?” written by Dr. Glenn Robertson:

“Do I give firstfruits or lastfruits?
    The reason so many give so little is because we have reversed the process. We give lastfruits, not firstfruits. We live our best life, and then see if we have anything left to honor God. By doing so, we dishonor God. We are choosing to live outside of faith. We want to see God work, but we are not placing ourselves in a position where we can see God work. We can talk about loving God. We can sing about loving God, but if we cannot release our gifts to God, then we are we in fact really in love with God?”

Also, “God prospers me not to raise my standard of living but to raise my standard of giving. Some people find they can give more than a tenth. Or, if they increase their income, they see it as a means by which God is expanding their influence, so they can give more to the work of His kingdom.”

And, “Tithing is worship. It is a sacrificial gift, given to God because of your love for God and in response to His salvation. God called for a tithe, not a tax. He wants people to give as an act of worship, not as a duty that is enforced upon them.”

Much food for thought. I love this idea of tithing as worship! It is entirely pro-active. And we have been taught here at Plainfield that tithing is indeed a Biblical Law of the Universe. I am grateful for this lesson on Substance.

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you for this post!

During the Saturday, March 16th, 2019 Bible Study, while the discussion turned to the topic of first fruits, I began to think of Galatians 5:22-23: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”

The thought then came, the first of each of those fruits that I am blessed with should also go to God and out to His creation. His abundance goes far beyond money, and the more I have started understanding that, the more each of those fruits of the Spirit have come into my experience. Learning to share freely of the love, joy, and peace I have gained, starts this cascade of love, joy and peace. This then strengthens my faith, and allows me to be express those other qualities more consistently.

This reminded me of 2 Corinthians 9:7: “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.”

I am very grateful for this church, the Bible Studies, and this wonderful Science! Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.