Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

“Four and Twenty Elders”

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JoanneF
    Participant

“And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.” (Rev. 4:4, 10, 11)

When I read this, I thought of the 24 hours of the day, and how each hour is governed by God and is an opportunity to know and praise God; that Truth, Life, and Love reign this and every hour. In Watches, Prayers, Arguments, Mrs. Eddy says: “This day is unfoldment, in which every detail and incident is but an illustration of divine presence, power, and wisdom.”

AMB
    Participant

I love this idea of the 24 hours of the day governed by God, and I think it fits very well with the notes about this this verse in Rev. G. A. Kratzer’s ‘Revelation Interpreted’ on the ‘publications’ section of the Plainfield website – (starting on page 107). This refers to the elders as ‘symbolising the leading ideas or manifestations of Mind, such as liberty, justice, changelessness, purity and the like..’ and that the phrases ‘clothed in white raiment’ and ‘on their heads crowns of gold’ indicate that the elders are ‘free from sin, and crowned with the authority of God.’ Thank you very much JoanneF, thank you to the lesson writer, and thank you Plainfied Church for the opportunities to learn more about the Bible.

nice.neighborhood
    Participant

Thank you Joanne. Very helpful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.