Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Fulfil ye my joy

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

14. Philippians 2
    2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

First definition of “accord” from the 1828 Webster’s:
    1. Agreement; harmony of minds; consent or concurrence of opinions or wills.

What came to me when I read this was that when we demonstrate Love, seek only God’s Will, and have the one Mind “which was also in Christ Jesus,” we will also have the same joy. How else could I fulfill the writer’s joy unless this were true. God may give us all different abilities and tasks, yet the Cause is the same, and therefore so is the effect.

Since this past Roundtable (Sunday, February 12th, 2017) I’ve been thinking a lot about the difference between personality and individuality. What just occurred to me because of this verse is that as I do my work each day, I feel great joy. Now, if I think I get joy from coding the website, then that is personality. I know it is personality, because in the past coding websites alone has brought no joy and given no blessing to mankind.

Instead I need to understand that the joy is there because God’s Will is being done. What this church does is to bless all as God directs. My individuality is as God’s idea; my indivisibility from Him and His activities. As such it makes no sense to take a human activity as the base of my identity, no matter how naturally it seems to come or well I seem to do it: God has already done the work! I am just working to realize it in my consciousness.

I am so grateful for Christian Science and this church, because I never would have figured any of this out on my own. Thank you!

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you, Jeremy, this is very helpful! Joy is so important, and what you state, “I need to understand that the joy is there because God’s Will is being done” is wonderful!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.