Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Galatians 5: 22, 23

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

8. Galatians 5
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

In the first few weeks of my arriving in Plainfield, these “fruit of the Spirit” were in a lesson. As I was brand new to Christian Science, they felt like a good check for myself to make sure my motives and actions were right. Initially it was with only the most basic understanding of each “fruit” yet reading this week’s lesson I realized that because of all I am learning here, each one has a deeper meaning to me now.

• Love: To fully love, which means to express divine Love, including the moral courage to cast out error.
    • Joy: To have the utmost joy in listening to God, and taking action as He directs.
    • Peace: To seek God’s presence, free of counterfeit, hypocrisy, and expectation (other than for good!).
    • Longsuffering: To walk with God through every bit of resistance, always expecting only good and never doubting Him.
    • Gentleness: To never be holding so hard to whatever I am thinking or doing that I don’t hear God’s call to do something else, or to help someone in need.
    • Goodness: To know that all good is of God, and not in trying to make people (or myself) happy.
    • Faith: Knowing “the battle is not yours, but God’s.” (2 Chronicles 20:15) The victory is His as well!
    • Meekness: Florence Robert’s article Meekness and Restoration really set me straight on meekness. I am grateful to fit into whatever role He would have me fill.
    • Temperance: “Patience; calmness; sedateness; moderation of passion.” (Webster’s 1828) To not get worked up by what human mind and material senses are saying, but to “Stand porter at the door of thought” (S&H, p. 392) and “lean not unto [my] own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5) but rely on God for all.

I am so grateful for how each new lesson here serves to refine and purify the silver of my understanding. Thank you!

chardelle

Thank you!!

Linda Russell
    Participant

Thank you for this beautiful post Jeremy!

Gary
    Participant

And the final, scientific fact, “against such there is no law.” These qualities of thought have all the power of God to heal and bless. They will always prevail, because they are the truth about who and what God created, and He created all! So when you get the thought that you can’t love someone, or you’ve lost your joy, or that you have to tolerate some inharmony in your life, these thoughts are the false mortal beliefs, illusions, that dog us, but have no power other than what we give them. There are no laws of matter! No laws that can undo the “fruit of the Spirit.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.