Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Gehazi

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BarbaraW
    Participant

The Bible story about Gehazi is so heartbreaking. At first glance it was so hard to understand how a servant of Elisha could go so far off track. “But Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said, Behold, my master hath spared Naaman this Syrian, in not receiving at his hands that which he brought: but, as the Lord liveth, I will run after him, and take somewhat of him.” (II kings 5:20)
    It’s interesting that afterward Elisha said to Gehazi, “The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, …” Perhaps this is due to the pride (which Naaman had to overcome) that must have dwelt in Gehazi’s heart that he thought he knew better than “the man of God” and therefore even better than God what should be done. Even, “my master hath spared Naaman this Syrian,” seems like a bit of contempt for Naaman and Syria and a belief that he ought to be required to give something. As I understand it that was part of Gehazi’s justification to himself for what he was doing.
    We all must watch out for human will and pride. They are not on our side.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.