Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"ghosts are not realities"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Reality — September 27th, 2020 "ghosts are not realities"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Betty S
    Participant

I thought it interesting that word “ghost” was mentioned several times in this week’s lesson. One was regarding children who “should be assured that their fears are groundless, that ghosts are not realities, but traditional beliefs, erroneous and man-made.” (Cit. 6, S&H: 352) In the Glossary in S&H page 587, Mrs. Eddy defines “ghost” as “illusion; a belief that mind is outlined and limited; a supposition that spirit is finite.” In other words, an unreal, false belief that is the opposite of God as all-powerful, infinite Spirit, Mind. I definitely don’t want to believe in that!

Continuing on page 353 in S&H (Cit.6) it says “The age has not wholly outlived the sense of ghostly beliefs. It still holds them more or less. Time has not yet reached eternity, immortality, complete reality. … We must give up the spectral at all points. We must not continue to admit the somethingness of superstition, but we must yield up all belief in it and be wise. When we learn that error is not real, we shall be ready for progress, “forgetting those things which are behind.”

I looked up superstition in the 1828 Webster’s dictionary. It said,”1. Excessive exactness or rigor in religious opinions or practice; … the doing of things not required by God, or abstaining from things not forbidden; or the belief of what is absurd, or belief without evidence. … 5. Belief in the direct agency of superior powers in certain extraordinary or singular events, or in omens or prognostics.” Wow! Talk about being obsessive, and compulsively doing the wrong things at the wrong time trying to appease God. Or worse, appease some power one thinks is evil and more powerful than God. This got me to thinking, what false ghostly beliefs have I allowed to “haunt” me? Past mistakes, guilt, a sense of loss, a nagging fear? Am I identifying myself as a mortal subject to superstitious beliefs, such as heredity, materia medica, having to do things the same way, fear of doing/learning something new, “black cats, and ladders,” and the list goes on?

Mrs Eddy further states in Cit.9, S&H:403 “You command the situation if you understand that mortal existence is a state of self-deception and not the truth of being. Mortal mind is constantly producing on mortal body the results of false opinions; and it will continue to do so, until mortal error is deprived of its imaginary powers by Truth, which sweeps away the gossamer web of mortal illusion. The most Christian state is one of rectitude and spiritual understanding, and this is best adapted for healing the sick.” (gossamer – a fine filmy substance – 1828 Websters ) This was very encouraging to me because it means that the illusion is not strong or very deep. It is only my false beliefs, which when I confront them vigorously and persistently with Truth and finally see their utter falsity they are destroyed. Isn’t it funny how when I finally wake up from some false belief and see its nothingness it truly disappears because it was never true in the first place. Wonderful lesson. Thank you lesson writers.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.