Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Go, and sin no more

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: Romans 8 : 1-9
    1. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4. John 8
    5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
    8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
    9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
    10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

I used to think this was a story of Jesus having compassion on one woman and saving her, but this morning I realized something new: He was working to save all of them. Jesus wanted all of them to “go, and sin no more.”

It also had confused me when Jesus wrote on the ground. Now the thought comes that perhaps their positions of human power made them like bullies, and his indifference to their supposed power in those moments was enough to make them receptive to what he finally said.

Maybe then they saw how they had been fulfilling the law through the weakness of the flesh, and that Jesus was fulfilling the law through Spirit. It’s possible they even started to see how they could follow his example. At the very least, I would think that none of them ever picked up a stone again without thinking of this moment.

It’s wonderful to learn here that behavior isn’t identity, and that, as Mrs. Eddy wrote, “If you believe in and practise wrong knowingly, you can at once change your course and do right.” (S&H, p. 253)

Thank you for this lesson!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.