Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

God gives man faith and understanding

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums God the Preserver of Man – June 10th, 2018 God gives man faith and understanding

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

I find the following added quotes from the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary helpful. I especially like the idea that God is a supporting influence. We all could use a little support now and then!!
    “The history of Christianity furnishes sublime proofs of the supporting (that which upholds, sustains or keeps from falling; to keep from sinking; that which maintains life; to maintain with provisions; to bear without being exhausted) influence (spiritual power or the immediate power of God on the mind) and protecting (to cover or shield from danger; to defend) bestowed on man by his heavenly Father, omnipotent Mind, who gives man faith and understanding whereby to defend himself not only from temptation, but from bodily suffering.” (S&H page 387)
    It is also important to note that God “GIVES man faith and understanding.” (emphasis added) So if you think you lack faith and/or understanding turn to this statement by Mrs. Eddy – and think again! All are without excuse!

chardelle

Thank you! Faith and understanding have become very important to me and one thing I have been studying, as directed, is Hymn 291. In part it reads: Quiet, Lord my froward heart, Make me gentle, pure and mild, Upright, simple free from art; Make me as a little child…….Let me thus with Thee abide, As my Father, friend, and guide.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.